PHILOSOPHY of FORTUNE!
Screw ‘work-life’: Embrace ‘play-life’.
From as young as I can remember I wanted to be a professional magician when I grew up. At 22 I had realised this ambition, performed internationally to top corporate clients. Within a few years I had itchy feet. What would I do next? I was making good money, but didn’t want to retire!
Teachers throughout my childhood and early adult life told me I could never be a magician, and whilst it’s OK to have a dream, I’d have to face reality and get a ‘proper’ job to pay the bills. A red rag to a bull, I decided early on I would do anything but. I’d live my life doing what I love.
As kids we don’t worry about learning the necessary ‘skill-set’ to play cops and robbers; we just use our imagination and simply do it.
So, I guess I’m still a kid! And yet I’m serious enough to not be afraid to get paid to play. Magic plays a huge part in my life, as I love seeing people react to the unexpected. Magic teaches us that nothing is impossible.
As an artist with a degree in art and design, I’m exploring how illusion can be integrated into our everyday lives. I represent gifted speed-painter and iconic contemporary artist Jen Allen. (OK, she’s also my girlfriend). I’ve also illustrated numerous books and publications.
Writing brings imagination to life. I write a lot (check out this page for example!) I’m proud to have written a regular column for MagicSeen for ten years now… and counting! I’ve also written and waffled for other industry publications.
I’m fortunate enough to work with a tribe of creative people. As an agent I’ve worked with clients internationally providing incredible artistes and acts of all disciplines. I’ve also designed unique bespoke projects. As a producer I enjoy bringing ideas to life and working with diverse talent, from magicians to musicians!
…in a nutshell, if it’s fun I’ll do it!
Little known FACTS of FORTUNE (OK, this bit may seem a bit ‘blowing of ones trumpet’ but should be excused as this is an ‘about me’ page, and assume that’s what you’d expect to read here) I’ve…;
– been blessed by Del Boy – for real, on set of Only Fools and Horses! As I dropped in worship to my knees before David Jason, he said ‘Thank you, have some more wine and biscuits, you’ve been blessed my son!’ in character.
– won an acre of rainforest in a national schools drawing competition when I was 12. Apparently it’s still there and protected. I really should check (could use the wood for Magic Furniture… hmmm… of course I jest!)
– managed and trained with the Shaolin Warriors (UK), including commissioning soundtracks, creating merchandise, setting up the Temple as a business and touring the UK and overseas.
– presented my own radio breakfast show for 3 years across London, Herts and Essex. I also created the world’s only weekly radio show dedicated to magic. ‘Radio Magic’ broadcast weekly on AM and online worldwide for one year 2005-6. Great fun!
– written and directed the first ever magic show at The O2 in London.
– been the only English magician to become faculty and broadcast with the world’s most prestigious magic school in Las Vegas, with monthly segments on their internet TV show.
– consulted on BBCs six part ‘Magic’ series in 2001.
– written, edited and published 2 books.
– had some awesome pets including three lion cubs, a meerkat, a red-ruffed lemur, baby cheetah, rather large barn owl, three tarantulas, lots of snakes, a bearded dragon… plus the ‘usual’ cat, dog and gerbils!
– turned down Britain’s Got Talent every year since 2008 – yet still they call! Don’t think they’ll ever quite get the fact the show has little to do with talent (don’t get me started!).